Can you really be happy for another person, even when their achievement strikes a blow at your own sense of self worth?

When I told my best friend I was happy for her because she was pregnant, that couldn't have been further from the truth. The truth was that her announcement ruined my day, my week and my self esteem. It added pressure to my already pressurized mid thirties brain and kept me awake at night with images of celebrating birthdays alone and bitter, while everyone else basked in the warmth and love of their self made families.

Some years later when it was my turn to be pregnant, I felt too guilty to announce it to my single friends. One night, as I finally plucked up the courage to pick up the phone and share the news, I said to my husband, "watch, as I ruin someone's day."
He looked at me in utter confusion, "what are you talking about?" he said. "They're you're friends, they'll be happy for you."
"There's no such thing as being happy for somebody else," I shrugged, and he looked at me like i had just announced that i was a psychopathic flesh eating robot.

So I began asking around to see whether others believed it was possible to be happy for another person, and was surprised to find just how many responded in the affirmative. Is everyone deluding themselves, too afraid to admit the socially unacceptable truth, or is it really possible to be happy for someone else, even when their achievement strikes a blow at your own sense of self worth?

From our first days in school when we compared our progress against our friends, to every milestone in life, we have no choice but to judge our successes based on that of our piers. And if our piers are faster, smarter and more popular, then we may experience feelings of inferiority. For example if you get 98% in a test and everyone else gets 99%, then you might say that you did well, but you are more likely to kick yourself for coming last.

If the friend's news is a goal that you too are striving for, like getting a promotion or buying a house, then news of their success will just stir the pot of your own frustrations. How can you possibly be happy for someone, whose actions have just made you feel like a failure? In fact is not a tiny (or perhaps not so tiny if you're really honest) part of you angry at that person for inflicting this added pressure on you? For example, when all your friends are single, there is no pressure to get married. But when, one by one, they start to pair off, well guess what, suddenly you've gone from carefree and popular to stressed, alone on a Saturday night and feeling horribly inadequate. All this because of actions taken by people who call themselves your friends.

Of course, when someone hits their milestones and succeeds in life, they aren't doing it to spite you. But it hurts nonetheless and it hurts because they did it and you didn't.

So next time you say "I'm happy for you," ask yourself, am I really? And if someone claims to be “happy for you”, be sensitive, don't boast about your successes and don't blame them if they would rather find new friends who don't make them feel so bad about themselves. Chances are, when they've hit the milestone too, they'll be back.

I had fertility problems, and suddenly it seemed like everyone around me was multiplying. My circle of barren friends was narrowing and pretty soon I would be the only one left. I felt horribly inadequate and began to get heart arrhythmias whenever a friend called or emailed. I began to avoid all friends older than thirty (which was all my friends) just in case more baby news came my way, and considered moving to a deserted island. I didn't even feel ready for my own baby, but I was beginning to feel like a failure. And all because of actions taken by my friends.

Of course we shouldn’t hold ourselves back just to please others, and we should always seek out our own happiness, I'm just saying that in so doing we will invariably create casualties.

It’s a sad fact of life but to quote Dale Carnegie, 'if you want enemies, excel your friends, but if you want friends, let your friends excel you.'
I'm so happy for you, showing off wedding ring, OCD, sociopath

"I'm so happy for you !"

08/27/2010 11:35

08/27/2010 11:37

It's a double-edged sword. If someone has a share of happiness that you want, it can hurt. But deep in our recesses, I think we can be truly happy for them. If they are happy, ask them how it came about. It's better to share happiness together than to just dump it on someone's psyche.

08/30/2010 16:18

I have a sister and 2 ex best friends that were the same way. I should say ARE still the same way. I bent over backwards, loaning them money giving them things, almost like trying to earn their approval. In the end I realized their jealousy of me would never go away and to my knowledge I have never given any of them reason to be. If anything I showered them with kindness to show them they didn't have to be that way. I believe some people are just miserable human beings.

09/14/2010 19:06

Dear Tracy00214
You are right, some people are miserable and insecure. I think insecurity plays a big role. That's mainly why I asked the question, can you really be happy for another person? Does such an emotion exist? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, as i have certainly felt very proud of some of my friends for their achievements. But only if their achievements didn't make me feel inadequate at the same time.
Human nature is a complex thing :)
A xx

10/10/2010 18:28

I applaud you for your honesty! Human nature is indeed complex and I don't think we are evil creatures for wanting what we want in life and not being able to fully quell the monster with in when someone else achieves our own goals. Perhaps that only shows a true desire and a true knowledge of what we want, when we feel so strongly about not getting it in the face of anther's success. And therefore is a positive side of these not so pleasant feelings.

06/26/2015 06:24

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.

07/07/2015 02:00

There's certainly a lot to learn about this issue. I love all the points you made.

07/07/2015 02:26

Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome blog!

07/07/2015 09:04

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Thanks